Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Fabric Heaven

Happy New Year Everyone!
Here at Vintage Velvet and Lace my love of most things mid-century finds fabric to be no exception. I love antique, vintage and vintage-inspired fabrics and textiles – especially the softest and most feminine looking threads – flowers, polka dots, sheer panels, soft cottons and anything in pastel shades – like ballet pink, vintage white and minty green/blue.
I’ve been redecorating my kitchen in a shabby chic/retro kind of way and I’ve already had the colors picked out for a while – teal/blue and red (with a few hints of pink and white) after seeing this cabinet display in Romantic Homes January 2013 issue.  
 
Isn’t it adorable!?
I contacted the girl on Etsy who is credited with creating this fabulous painted cabinet and she directed me to Walmart to find the fabric. (Walmart?! I was pleasantly surprised to find that not only did they carry them in my State, but they were soft and just as beautiful in person as they were in the magazine!) I grabbed two yards and set off to make two curtains to cover a storage area underneath the island in my kitchen (that otherwise looks pretty junky).

 
What do you think?
Are you working on your own Shabby Chic or retro-inspired home deor project? I found these fabulous 1940s retro sheer swiss dot curtains by complete accident and they will be perfect for someone else’s shabby chic retro home décor project! (They are too fragile for my windows because I have a cat who loves to stick her claws in the sheer fabric!). I found them on a lazy Sunday when I was trying to decide what stores to check out. I had been meaning to check out a new friend’s place nearby since I met her. Her shop is only open on the weekends right now because its winter so I thought this particular Sunday would be the perfect day to stop by. Her shop was gorgeous. Absolutely breathtaking. Painted furniture, shabby chic whites, cottage pinks, French elegance and vintage (and vintage inspired) décor galore. It was exactly what I dream my store will look like one day. I was in heaven. I wasn’t looking for anything in particular but I looked around at everything. Just when I was about to leave I saw them - a pair of authentic vintage sheer Swiss Dot curtains hanging on the backside of her entrance door. I couldn’t believe it – it was exactly the kind of color and vintage fabric I love! I hadn’t even been looking for them on purpose. So here I am now sharing them with you and hope you will find some good use for them! Check them out the two window sets at my Etsy store.


Let me know what you think of my latest decorating project. What are you working on? Or what was the latest treasure you found in your flea marketing? Share it with me here.  Happy decorating!

No comments:

Post a Comment